Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] push: add --current

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:48:43 +0200

>> +--current::
>> +	Independent of the other options, restrict pushing to the current
>> +	HEAD.
>
> To me, this sounds like there are multiple HEADs and this selects the
> current one to be pushed, which would be wrong. Maybe this could be
> written as:
>
> 	Restrict pushing to the currently checked out branch head.

I wrote that referring to "the branch currently pointed to by [the 
symref] HEAD".

> Hm, this only talks about refspecs in the config, but your patch series
> is especially about push.default=tracking, which is not a refspec set in
> the config, but causes a refspec to be generated on the fly.

Not really, as push.default=tracking and push.default=current would 
anyway push only the currently checked out branch.  "git push --current" 
would have a visible effect only for push.default=matching (the effect 
would be the same as push.default=current except that a new branch will 
not be created remotely).

If you have creted all your tracking branches with autosetuppush, then 
in that case "git push --current" or pushHeadOnly will indeed achieve 
the same effect as push.default=tracking; however, that would be with 
real refspecs in the config rather than with one generated on the fly. 
And since in that case you have a push refspec in the configuration, 
push.default would not be used.

Paolo