Subject: Re: disable branch modification

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 15:36:43 +0200

Ishaaq Chandy wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've got a remote git repository that I want multiple users to be able to
> push to. This is all set up fine and working beautifully. The only thing is,
> I want to be able to lock down the branches on this remote repo, once set up
> users should not be able to:
> 
> 1. Create new branches on it
> 2. Delete existing branches from it
> 3. push non-fast-forward commits to it.
> 
> I think I'll need to write a pre-receive hook for this, but before I embark
> on this, any helpful pointers would be appreciated.
> 

I did this once so that users could only push to branches in a namespace
beginning with their username, so the user "hgb" could only write to
"hgb/master" and never to "master" directly (for example). This provides
maximum freedom to the users while making sure they never muck about with
any "official" branches.

The script to accomplish this is, alas, lost.

Denying non-fast-forwards even if --force is in effect is a config option
these days, I think.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.