Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-gui: Update russian translation

From: Dan Zwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:51:58 -0500

> Alex Riesen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> But now, when I really think about the change, it looks useless.
>> What has the _number_ of files has to do with the files you actually
>> have to handle? As the sorting of the file list cannot be changed (and
>> it wouldn't be a big help anyway), you have no chance to get to your
>> file if it happens to be past the limit!

> Good point.  I suspect the problem wasn't so much with Tcl doing the
> list processing as it was with Tk actually creating the underlying
> icons and stuff for each file name.  But with the list clipped,
> you are right, you are basically SOL.  You can't do much beyond
> dropping back to the CLI and using the CLI tools.
> 
> IMHO, if we aren't going to handle 20k file names, we should at least
> punt and tell the user we aren't going to handle 20k file names,
> rather than just play Outlook wannabe and lockup the entire UI until
> the user gets bored and kill -9's us.  So this patch is better than
> nothing, it at least lets the user know we have given up on them.
> 

A warning would be good, but this gives users more information. In my 
case, I only wanted to see a few files, but the rest were from a 
directory that should have been in .gitignore. If I had seen the 
filenames, I would have known which directory was the culprit. This way, 
you don't need to drop to the command line to fix the problem.

-Dan