Subject: Re: [PATCH 10/11] Add MSVC Project file

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:02:58 +0200

> I think the killer argument against such a script (I actually though of 
> that myself, but decided against it for that very reason) is that the 
> result is to be used by Microsoft Visual Studio users, who do not 
> typically have a scripting language, and who would not want to use it 
> anyway.

But the script could run whenever the Makefile is updated, even under
Unix.  Of course, there are chances of bitrotting, but it cannot be
worse than having failures every time a builtin is added or otherwise a
file is added.

The main problem I see with the script is that the output would
naturally be a .gitignore-d file, but it will not be for the reason you
mention.

> Of course, we could have a script that verifies that the .vcproj files 
> contain reference the appropriate files (which it would know about by 
> being called from the Makefile and being passed the file names), maybe 
> even be able to edit the .vcproj file if it is missing some.  Should not 
> be too hard in Perl.

Yes, it's not very far from what I had in mind.

Paolo