Subject: Re: [RFC] Enable compilation by Makefile for the MSVC toolchain

From: Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 20:06:03 +0200

Johan 't Hart said the following on 18.08.2009 19:41:
> Junio C Hamano schreef:
>> Since use of make implies use of shell, this makes me wonder if it
>> would make sense to go one step further by giving msvc users a thin
>> shell wrapper mcvc-cc that turns bog-standard cc command line into
>> whatever cl uses.
> 
> Just using the msvc toolchain for building git misses the whole
> purpose of what VC is used for. MSVC would be used because of the
> IDE, not for the compiler IMO.

Bull. MSVC produces superior code on Windows compared to MinGW, I'm 
afraid. Add the /LTGC (Link Time Code Generation), and MSVC generates 
very good cross compile-unit optimized code. (I know gcc has the option, 
but it's not as good, by far)
Coupled now with built-in static code analysis, these are only two 
reasons why *I* would want to build it directly from the command line 
without worrying that my .vcproj is out-of-sync with the main development.
You can still debug with the MSVC debugger if you'd like, and the MSVC 
IDE allows you to wrap Makefile project too, so you can *still* use the 
IDE..

--
.marius