Subject: Re: [msysGit] Re: [RFC] Enable compilation by Makefile for the MSVC toolchain

From: Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:26:13 +0200

Johannes Schindelin said the following on 19.08.2009 14:56:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Marius Storm-Olsen wrote:
>> Ok, but you would still have to rely on GNU Make in this setup,
>> and it would have to generate the common_cmds.h before you can
>> even compile with the MSVC IDE.
> 
> But then I could bundle it up and give it to a Visual Studio user
> and they do not need msysGit.
> 
> But maybe we should require them to have msysGit?  After all, if
> the package is too small, no Windows developer will take it
> seriously, right? ;-)

They would still require the rest of the msysgit environment to be 
able to use the result. Not until we have zero scripts left as git 
commands can we ditch the msysgit environment. So yes, even for 
msvc-built git is msysgit required. Its just not build with MinGW.

--
.marius