Subject: Re: [git-svn] [BUG] merge-tracking inconsistencies; Was: [FEATURE-REQ] track merges from git

From: Ximin Luo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 22:13:55 +0100

Ximin Luo wrote:
> The only difference between the two runs is that in the unfucked version, we
> run "git svn dcommit" after every git commit.

Hmm, now that I think about it, the "bug" would be quite hard to "fix"...

Basically, it happens if you try to dcommit a commit A which has two parents, B
and X, where X is in a different branch, and hasn't already been dcommited. It
would seem that there isn't (in general) a way to detect whether X would become
(ie. in the future) a dcommitted svn commit - and actually this might not even
be the case, if eg. someone "svn commited" before we could get that dcommit in.

However about having git-svn outputting a warning when it detects merge
commits, one of whose parents is *not* a dcommitted commit, but does belongs to
a branch that is also being tracked by git-svn?

Something like "Warning: commit aaaa has parent bbbb; however, parent bbbb has
not been dcommited to the remote svn yet. If you proceed with this dcommit, the
merge history will be lost; to preserve the history, dcommit the branch
containing bbbb instead and then continue to dcommit this branch"?

X