Subject: Re: [PATCH] git.el: Make it easy to add unmerged files

From: Martin Nordholts <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 07:48:07 +0200

On 08/30/2009 05:58 PM, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Martin Nordholts <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> (Resending as I managed to mangle the previous patch despite trying not to...)
>>
>> It is nice and easy to git-add ignored and unknown files in a
>> git-status buffer. Make it equally easy to add unmerged files which is
>> a common use case.
> 
> That's not quite what adding a file means in git.el, unmerged files are
> considered added already, and marking them resolved is done through the
> git-resolve-file command. Of course that was implemented before git
> overloaded the meaning of git-add to mean git-update-index, so maybe we
> should follow the trend and use git-add-file for all index updates. In
> that case git-resolve-file should probably be removed.

Since git instructs the user to use git-add for marking unmerged files
as resolved ("After resolving the conflicts, mark the corrected paths
with 'git add <paths>' or 'git rm <paths>' and commit the result.") and
doesn't even mention git-update-index, I think we should change git.el
accordingly.

But why do we need to also remove and disable git-resolve-file from
git.el? It doesn't hurt to keep that function and the keybinding, does
it?

 / Martin