Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/4] push: make non-fast-forward help message configurable

From: Uri Okrent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:51:21 -0700

On 09/07/2009 01:54 AM, Jeff King wrote:
> At that point, why not just get rid of "message.all" and simply say
> "manually turn off the messages you don't like". Then the user can
> either go through the config manually as above, or they can wait until
> they become annoyed with a particular message and turn it off (and
> hopefully our naming is good enough that they can easily figure out
> which one it was :) ).
>
> So I think "be verbose, but let the user quiet us" is probably
> better than "be quiet, but let the user make us louder", because it is
> easier to discover verbose things. Which implies to me that
> "message.all", if it exists at all, should be limited in scope to just
> advice.

That seems like the most sane solution, given that it may not be obvious 
to the user what messages he/she may be missing if "expert" mode is on, 
and also from a coding perspective.

I know that by default I'd like to see new messages, and in case I'm 
doing something adventurous I'd like to see a message I may not have 
seen before. If I had turned off all messages because I got sick of 
seeing one or two in particular, then I'd never know.

Also, this thread started due to people's dislike of one particular 
message, so I think it's likely that in general someone would really 
only want to turn off at most a handful of messages, which again points 
to turning them off individually as being the best and simplest solution.

P.S. I never really introduced myself to the list... Uri Okrent here 
from L.A. Keep up the great work everyone!
-- 
    Uri

Please consider the environment before printing this message.
http://www.panda.org/how_you_can_help/