Subject: Re: Cannot clone redirecting stdout

From: Jean-Luc Herren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:15:51 +0200

Hi list!

Aloisio wrote:
> this doesn't:
> git clone -n git://gitorious.org/qt/qt.git repo >log
> fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
> fatal: early EOF
> fatal: index-pack failed

What are you trying to store in that file?  The only line I
observe being printed to stdout while cloning is this one:

    Initialized empty Git repository in [...]/repo/.git/

Everything else (progress status) is printed to stderr and I
presume that any error messages would also go to stderr too, if
any.  So possibly you would be happy with this:

    git clone -n git://gitorious.org/qt/qt.git repo 2> log

which works fine here with git-1.6.4.2.  Though I agree that I
would expect redirecting stdout to work.

Cheers,
jlh