Subject: Re: Direct ancestors from commit to HEAD

From: Gonsolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 17:10:24 +0200

> I don't know whether --first-parent or --simplify-by-decoration, or
> perhaps --dense is what you want (you can also use --graph for better
> visualization).

Thank you. I think

git log --topo-order --dense --merges firstmerge..HEAD

comes very near. I still have to use "git log --topo-order", find the 
commit of interest, and search upwards for the next merge that is used
as firstmerge above.
Unfortunately there are many merges in the net branch but it basically 
does the job.

An example:

1. git log --topo-order, search for "Wakeup fixes" gives commit edd7fc.
2. Search backward for "^Merge" gives commit a8519d.
3. git log --topo-order --dense --merges edd7fc.., search for a8519d.
4. A search backwards for Linus gives you the merge into mainline: d7e966.

This commit is basically what I wanted to know. Even nicer would be a 
three-commit-line only consisting of the merge into wireless, the merge 
into net and the merge into mainline.

> Or use git-show-branch... :-)

I don't think I can use that since I have only a master branch sitting 
around.