Subject: Re: [PATCH] compat/mingw.c: MSVC build must use ANSI Win32 API's

From: Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:40:15 +0200

Michael Wookey said the following on 22.09.2009 11:17:
> 2009/9/22 Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]>:
>> Michael, how are you trying to compile git? With the IDE or the
>> GNU Make? Which version of MSVC? If you use the IDE, can you make
>> sure it doesn't contain the UNICODE define in the compiler
>> section of the properties of the projects?
> 
> I'm using the VS 2008 Professional IDE (the solution doesn't open
> in VS 2005). I made no changes to the build settings. In the
> Preprocessor section of the project, UNICODE is defined.

Were these projects generated with the Vcproj generator in 
contrib/buildsystem, with the Qmake generator, or the projects from 
Frank's repo?

> On another note, I see *many* build warnings for things like 
> "signed/unsigned compares". I'd be willing to work through these 
> warnings and fix them. Thoughts?

Well, first find out why these are a problem with MSVC and not GCC. 
Are the types different on these platforms? signed vs unsigned should 
show up with GCC as well. We need to make sure that we don't fix 
signed/unsigned issues on one platform, just to introduce it to 
another platform.
In any case, it would be good for someone to have a look at these, 
just so we can determine the cause for most of them, and then we 
should figure out on the list how to deal with them.

Just my €0.2..

--
.marius