Subject: Re: [PATCH] builtin-mailinfo.c: Trim only first pair of square brackets in subject

From: Jason Holden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 20:26:36 -0400

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
> I think we all agree that the behaviour should be improved, but I think
> neither Roger's patch nor Andreas's one was the solution..  People who
> care need to carry discussions and proposed patches forward to help us
> agree on an acceptable solution.

An additional use case for this is that at $dayjob, we use GForge
Advanced Server.  With GForge, commits are tied to the bug-tracker
by including the bug-id in the commit message with the syntax
[#NNN], where NNN is a unique id for each submitted bug.

So the typical first line of a commit message looks something like:
[#100] Fix bug in foo.c

sent using git-send-email, this becomes
[PATCH] [#100] Fix bug in foo.c

But of course, both [PATCH] and [#100] get stripped off when applied
with git-am, forcing a manual edit.

The reg-expression stuff isn't necessary for my particular use-case.
 Stripping off brackets that have any variant of "PATCH" in them, or
just stripping off the first set of brackets would work for me.

-- 
Regards,
Jason Holden