Subject: Re: Add MinGW header files to build git with MSVC

From: Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:29:28 +0200

Sebastian Schuberth said the following on 23.09.2009 12:03:
>> From: Frank Li <[email-masked]>
>>
>> Added the header files dirent.h, unistd.h and utime.h
>> Add alloca.h, which simply includes malloc.h, which defines alloca
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Frank Li <[email-masked]>
>> Signed-off-by: Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]>
> 
> [...]
> 
>>  create mode 100644 compat/vcbuild/include/sys/utime.h
> 
> Have you considered simply including MSVC's sys/utime.h here? From a
> first glance, it seems as if it contains all required symbols.

This was a patch which originated from Frank Li's original series. 
While we might have been able to simply use the MSVC one, I'm sure 
Frank had a reason for overriding it with the small content which you 
see in this patch. We'll have to ask Frank about that. We can always 
remove it now, if the MSVC version works ok and doesn't introduce any 
compiler errors/warnings.

While I appreciate your comments, they are a tad late, as the whole 
series is already in master.. :)
  See http://repo.or.cz/w/git.git?a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master

So, give it a try, to see if removing the include override
     compat/vcbuild/include/utime.h
doesn't introduce a regression, and send a patch for it.

--
.marius