Subject: Re: git clone sending unneeded objects

From: Jason Merrill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:20:14 -0400

On 09/25/2009 03:53 PM, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> I did reproduce the issue with git:// back when this discussion started.
> I also asked for more information about the remote which didn't come
> forth.

Looking back, I only see you asking about the git version on the server, 
which is 1.6.4.

So again:

git clone git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git
  (1399509 objects, ~600MB .git dir)
git gc --prune=now (988906 objects, ~450MB .git dir)

...then

git clone git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git --reference $firstclone
  (573401 objects, ~550MB .git dir)
git fsck (clean)
git gc --prune=now (5 objects, ~7MB .git dir)

What's going on here?

Jason