Subject: Re: MSVC build broken (on cygwin)

From: Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 10:49:42 +0200

Alex Riesen said the following on 02.10.2009 10:23:
> MSVC (all versions) define a compiler specific _MSC_VER, if that's of any use.

In this case it was define guards to let both MSVC and MinGW through 
:) Both use _WIN32 and WIN32, which Cygwin gcc normally doesn't, 
unless, as Ramsay said, you specify -mno-cygwin, or include windows.h 
apparently.

Maybe we should allow Cygwin to also include the LEAN_AND_MEAN 
windows.h in git-compat-util.h, and rather fix up the guards to 
cleanly differ between Cygwin and non-Cygwin on Windows?

Apparently, nothing is broken in neither Cygwin, MinGW or MSVC after 
Ramsays whitespace fix, but I'm sure it might get hairy later, if/when 
we get more Windows contributions. Keeping the guards right could get 
tricky.

So, something like this maybe, in git-compat-util.h:

#if defined(__MINGW32__) || defined(_MSC_VER)
#  defined API_WIN32
#  defined OS_WINDOWS
#elif defined(__CYGWIN__)
#  defined API_POSIX
#  defined OS_WINDOWS
#else
#  defined API_POSIX
#endif

So, then we can use #ifdef API_WIN32 when using the Win32 API is the 
only option/preferred for MinGW or MSVC; and use #ifdef OS_WINDOWS 
when there are things that affect all the Windows builds.

Opinions?

--
.marius