Subject: Re: Git push over git protocol for corporate environment

From: Ismael Luceno <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 15:54:45 -0300

Eugene Sajine escribió:
> I think that this is what is missing right now in order for git to get
> rocket start and spread inside companies: secure and easy to maintain
> mainline hosting.
> 

It looks like your problem is using cygwin. It's more complicated on a
MS-Windows environment, and personally I think it's a _very bad idea_.

Git is really easy to use in fact, you just set up the repo with:

  mkdir repo.git
  cd repo.git
  git init --bare --shared=all

--shared=all makes the repo readable to anyone, and ensures push rights
to users under the same group as the user setting up the repo. You can
change the group with chmod of course.

SSH access will be needed to push, unless the users can remotely mount
the repo via NFS or any other protocol.

Pulling is possible over http too, you just need to make
hooks/post-update executable. To export via git protocol you must create
an empty file named "git-daemon-export-ok".

Besides setting a web repo browser and git-server there's nothing else
specific to git.

-- 
Ismael Luceno