Subject: Re: [PATCH] Teach 'rebase -i' the command "amend"

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 07:53:55 +0200

Johannes Schindelin schrieb:
> Are you serious?  "rebase -i" was _always_ about showing an edit script, 
> i.e. to tell Git _what_ you want to do with _which_ commits, identified by 
> short commit names.
> 
> The oneline was _always_ meant as a pure convenience for the user.

Good that you mention it: The one-liner is really convenient. I tend to
replace it by reminders like "====== fix unused var", "===== edit msg",
etc. (after marking the commit "edit") and I'm glad that rebase-i later
prints the one-liner from the insn file rather than the original subject
line before it stops.

(I do it this way because on Windows I can't afford to call rebase-i on a
long patch series for every single task. Rather, I plan the tasks while
the insn editor is open, and this way I keep reminders about what the plan
was.)

No, I definitely don't want the one-liners to end up in the commit
message. ;-)

-- Hannes