Subject: Re: [PATCH] Teach 'rebase -i' the command "reword"

From: Björn Gustavsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 09:03:22 +0200

Stephen Boyd wrote:
> Björn Gustavsson wrote:
>> +If you just want to edit the commit message for a commit, you can replace
>> +the command "pick" with the command "reword".
>> +
> Maybe use the imperative here. So instead of "you can replace" just say
> "replace".

Yes, that's better.
 
> Also, two paragraphs down we say "In both cases ..." but now there are
> three cases right? Maybe we should say

Well spotted. I didn't think about that.

But actually, I think that in "In both cases..." was wrong to begin
with, as there only is one case, namely if the command is "edit".

>> +#  r, reword = use commit, but allow editing of the commit message
> How about this?
> 
> use commit, but stop to edit (or reword?) the commit message

No, I think that would be misleading, as "stop" means exit to the shell
so that you can run other git commands. (The documentation says:
"...the loop will stop to let you fix things, and you can continue
-the loop with `git rebase --continue`")

Here comes a patch that improves the documentation. It should be applied
on top of my previous patch and then combined with it.

If you want me to send a new, combined patch, I will of course do that.

-- >8 --
Subject: [PATCH] Minor polishing of documentation

To be combined with my previous patch.
---
 Documentation/git-rebase.txt |   10 +++++-----
 1 files changed, 5 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-rebase.txt b/Documentation/git-rebase.txt
index 52af656..0ae8449 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-rebase.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-rebase.txt
@@ -368,17 +368,17 @@ By replacing the command "pick" with the command "edit", you can tell
 the files and/or the commit message, amend the commit, and continue
 rebasing.
 
-If you just want to edit the commit message for a commit, you can replace
-the command "pick" with the command "reword".
+If you just want to edit the commit message for a commit, replace the
+command "pick" with the command "reword".
 
 If you want to fold two or more commits into one, replace the command
 "pick" with "squash" for the second and subsequent commit.  If the
 commits had different authors, it will attribute the squashed commit to
 the author of the first commit.
 
-In both cases, or when a "pick" does not succeed (because of merge
-errors), the loop will stop to let you fix things, and you can continue
-the loop with `git rebase --continue`.
+When "pick" has been replaced with "edit" or when a "pick" does not
+succeed (because of merge errors), the loop will stop to let you fix
+things, and you can continue the loop with `git rebase --continue`.
 
 For example, if you want to reorder the last 5 commits, such that what
 was HEAD~4 becomes the new HEAD. To achieve that, you would call
-- 
1.6.5.rc2.18.g020de