Subject: Re: [PATCH] Teach 'rebase -i' the command "reword"

From: Stephen Boyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 00:43:17 -0700

Björn Gustavsson wrote:
>> How about this?
>>
>> use commit, but stop to edit (or reword?) the commit message
>
> No, I think that would be misleading, as "stop" means exit to the shell
> so that you can run other git commands. (The documentation says:
> "...the loop will stop to let you fix things, and you can continue
> -the loop with `git rebase --continue`")

Ok, "stop" being misleading makes sense but I still think the English is
wrong. Particularly the part about allow editing. Maybe just remove
"stop", so

    use commit, but edit the commit message

>
> -In both cases, or when a "pick" does not succeed (because of merge
> -errors), the loop will stop to let you fix things, and you can continue
> -the loop with `git rebase --continue`.
> +When "pick" has been replaced with "edit" or when a "pick" does not
> +succeed (because of merge errors), the loop will stop to let you fix
> +things, and you can continue the loop with `git rebase --continue`.
>   

Patch looks good, but if you decide to resend due to my comment above
maybe you could think about replacing the word "loop" with "rebase". We
should probably just say "the rebase will stop" and "you can continue
with `git rebase ..."

Or we could combine yours, mine, and Hannes' versions.

The rebase will stop when "pick" has been replaced with "edit" or when a command fails due to merge errors. When you are done editing and/or resolving conflicts you can continue with `git rebase --continue`.