Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] user-manual: use 'fast-forward'

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 14:50:07 +0200

Felipe Contreras venit, vidit, dixit 12.10.2009 12:05:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> It's a compound word.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> This removes 7 out of 37 "fast forward" in Documentation/ directory.  Are
>> we going to convert the remaining ones, too?
> 
> Sure. Once I finish pushing the patches I have for user-manual, which
> is the one I'm interested right now.
> 

And how about the other 40 or so in the remaining code?

In fact, hyphenated and separated forms of this compound noun are almost
evenly split, which reflects well upon the fact that there is no
clear-cut rule in US English (and neither in BE).

So, if you are suggesting a style we should define it and follow it
consistently. Our main source of definitions is the glossary. Now, that
has a truly salomonic solution:

fast forward
	A fast-forward is a special type...

I suggest that this is the first place which needs attention, after
fixating the definition, maybe not just among the three of us, all
non-native speakers.

Michael