Subject: Re: Questions about the new

From: Sergio Callegari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:49:55 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Sergio Callegari <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>   
>> If I want to replace some commit X by some commit X' I merely need to
>> modify the
>> parent information of all the commits that are child of X so that they
>> pretend
>> to be child of X', or am I missing something?
>>     
>
> You need to find all the commits that are child of X in the first place.
> What should happen if your colleague has such a commit in his repository
> (which you haven't fetched from yet), you enumerated all children of X
> known to you in your graft file and then you fetch from him?  You need to
> enumerate all children of X again to keep the graft file up to date.
>   
Ok, that is enlightening. When trying to sort out the differences, 
advantages and disadvantages of
operating on arcs (grafts like) or on nodes (replacements like) I was 
thinking local, rather than
distributed. Now the advantage of working on nodes is much clearer to me.

Thanks as usual for the very clear explanation.

Sergio