Subject: Re: Changing branches in supermodule does not affect submodule?

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 17:39:29 +0200

Peter Krefting schrieb:
> Jens Lehmann:
> 
>> just calling "git submodule update" every time you want the submodule
>> to be updated according to the state committed in the superproject
>> will do the trick (but keep in mind that all referenced commits have
>> to be accessible in the local clone of your submodule, so you might
>> have to do a fetch there once in a while).

BTW: unless you use the -N or --no-fetch option, git submodule update
will do the fetch for you.

> Is it possible to automate this from a hook or something else?

Yep, you can use the post-checkout hook for that, just put a "git
submodule update" in it.

*But*: If you do a checkout in the superproject while the submodule
has new commits not contained in any branch (remember submodules
often have a detached head) you'll silently lose these commits!
Then only the reflog can help you ...