Subject: git gc and kernel.org

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:00:54 +0900

We have run into two major problems with git on kernel.org.  We have 
discussed workarounds, but I believe they are generally major problems 
which will affect other sites, and really need to be fixed upstream.

1) git receive-pack doesn't run git gc --auto.

This cause repositories which people thought were being autopacked to 
not be so.  This can be done via a hook, but that is way too painful for 
people to do -- in fact, it's hard enough just to get people to enable 
the post-update hook for http fetching.

1b) as per the above, a way to make "git update-server-info" at 
post-update time a configurable option rather than needing to be done 
via the hook would be very nice, since a configuration option can be 
enabled sitewide.

2) When pushing to a repository, it apparently doesn't honor new objects 
in alternate repositories.  This causes massive unnecessary duplication.

I believe these are major issues that need to be addressed.  If we are 
*mistaken* on these, then we would appreciate being corrected.

Thanks,

	-hpa