Subject: Re: drawbacks to svn server + git-svn vs git server?

From: Pascal Obry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:19:02 +0200

Le 21/10/2009 17:05, Dexter Riley a écrit :
> Hello.  My group is currently using subversion on our version control server,
> but would like to move to git as a client.  We are considering using
> git-svn, to avoid revalidating the server software.  My question is, are
> there any major disadvantages to using git-svn versus git?  I know that the
> git repository would be smaller.  I'm more concerned about possible svn
> repository corruption, performance when pushing large merges back to svn,
> and any gotchas you might have encountered.

Something that come to mind immediately is that you'll loose merge 
information as Subversion has linear history. I understand that recent 
Subversion versions have added some information about merges but I don't 
think git-svn handles this (I don't even know if it makes sense or not:).

If you have a single integrator you'll also loose the author name. Keep 
in mind also that git-svn is slower to get new commits from the upstream 
repository.

I've used git-svn for a while now without any trouble. And I can say 
that I won't move back to using an svn client.

Pascal.

-- 

--|------------------------------------------------------
--| Pascal Obry                           Team-Ada Member
--| 45, rue Gabriel Peri - 78114 Magny Les Hameaux FRANCE
--|------------------------------------------------------
--|    http://www.obry.net  -  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--| "The best way to travel is by means of imagination"
--|
--| gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B