Subject: Re: Detached HEAD and "git log --all"

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:36:44 +0200

Jakub Narebski venit, vidit, dixit 22.10.2009 22:37:
> When discussing differences between concept and implementation
> of branches in Git and in Mercurial on StackOverflow[1] (abusing
> SO comment system a bit), Steve Losh[2] wrote that he was surprised
> by the fact that "git log --all" doesn't include commits made
> on detached HEAD.
> 
> While documentation clearly states:
> 
>   --all  Pretend as if all the refs in `$GIT_DIR/refs/` are listed
>          on the command line as <commit>.
> 
> and HEAD is in `$GIT_DIR/HEAD`, which is outside `$GIT_DIR/refs/`,
> it is nevertheless a bit strange that "git log --all" doesn't list
> all (everything).
> 
> This is of course only an issue if we are on detached HEAD; I guess
> that semantics of `--all` option to git-log predates this feature.
> 
> [1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1598759/git-and-mercurial-compare-and-contrast/1599930#1599930
> [2] http://stevelosh.com/blog/entry/2009/8/30/a-guide-to-branching-in-mercurial/
> 

...OK, finally found it: Dscho did just that in f0298cf (revision
walker: include a detached HEAD in --all, 2009-01-16) which is in
v1.6.1.3 and later.

Cheers,
Michael