Subject: Re: [cvsimport] Import CVS repository from a specified date or branch name

From: Nick Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 22:38:25 +0100

Klaus Rödel wrote:
> I have a very large and old (serveral years) cvs repository and I want
> to import this in git.
> For my work it is not nessecary to import all the revision history from
> the cvs repository.
> It is engough to import only the revisions from a specified date or
> branch name of the cvs repo.
> 
> Is this possible with git-cvsimport?

I'm not certain if it is possible, if it is I suspect it might require invoking
cvsps first and then reading in the output generated with git-cvsimport, as
Andreas implies.

In any case, the underlying cvsps program is flawed, and  in it's current form,
although it seems to work ok for simple situations, I know for a fact that
didn't faithfully reproduce a rather big old CVS repository I tried it on. So if
you're planning on just importing once, and don't need incremental imports, from
my experience I'd suggest you'd fare better using cvs2git:

http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/cvs2git.html

Cheers,

N