Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Oct 2009, #04; Wed, 21)

From: Stephen Boyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 02:01:06 -0700

Clemens Buchacher wrote:
>> I need to know, to sift acks/kudos based on facts that I can use to decide
>> when to release it to 'master', from wishful thinking that I shouldn't,
>> especially after seeing an obvious issue like the one reported by Stephen
>> Boyd a few days ago (http://mid.gname.com/[email-masked]/).
>
> I cannot follow that link. If you're referring to the "completion of
> commands available only in build environment" issue, that could also be
> considered a feature, because it allows completion of user-defined scripts.
>
> Why does your PATH include the build directory during make, Stephen?

The Makefile says:

git-completion.bash: git-completion.bash.in git-completion.bash.generate
        # Generate completions for binaries we have just built
        PATH="$(shell pwd)/../..:$$PATH" ./git-completion.bash.generate

Having user-defined scripts is a good point. Generating the completion
like this removes the possibility of such scripts from appearing in the
completion. Unless users are putting their own "git-*" scripts in their
build directory (sounds odd to me).

Personally, I'd rather keep it dynamic but I can see how it's useful to
get the 10x speedup. It would be really cool if we could have the best
of both worlds, where I keep my dynamic loading, but others can build
the completion and get the speedup.