Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Cygwin MSVC patches

From: Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:21:49 +0000

Johannes Sixt wrote:
> Ramsay Jones schrieb:
>> With these patches, the msvc build on cygwin seems to be working fine.
> 
> What is "the msvc build on cygwin"?

The same as the msvc build on msys-MinGW, but replace msys-MinGW
with Cygwin ;-)

> Is it "git built with msvc, then run in cygwin"?

Yes, but... *in theory* the cygwin msvc-built binaries could be transferred
to an msys system and they should work (exactly as the msvc build on msys).
Since I don't have an msys installation, I can't test that... so I won't
guarantee it will work!

Any git needs a (bash-like) shell, perl, Tcl/Tk, ... etc.

Note the difference in the cygcheck output on the (cygwin) msvc-built git:

    $ cygcheck ./git.exe
    .\git.exe
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\Secur32.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHLWAPI.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2_32.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2HELP.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\zlib1.dll
    $ 

rather than the cygwin git:

    $ cygcheck ./git.exe
    .\git.exe
      C:\cygwin\bin\cygcrypto-0.9.8.dll
        C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\Secur32.dll
      C:\cygwin\bin\cygiconv-2.dll
      C:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll
    $ 

[Actually, one difference between the msys and cygwin msvc builds
is that I have dynamically linked to the zlib1.dll rather than
using the static library from the msvcgit.git dependencies repo.]

ATB,
Ramsay Jones