Subject: Re: Unhappy git in a jailshell?

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 14:51:14 +0100

Dmitry Potapov venit, vidit, dixit 02.11.2009 13:47:
> On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 11:16:43PM +1100, Alex MDC wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to use git on a linux server, but unfortunately I've only
>> been granted jailshelled access. Most of git works, but some commands
>> just fail to run, e.g.
>> git repack
>> git rebase
>> git index-pack
> 
> Most Git commands are builtin, so they are executed by git.exe directly,
> but some commands are implemented as separate binaries or shell files.
> These commands require `git --exec-path` in PATH to run. Normally, git
> adds `git --exec-path` in its environment before running them.
> 
> Apparently, jailshelled access prevents that somehow. So, I suggest you
> contact your system administrator and tell him that you need to be able
> to run files from `git --exec-path` to being able to use git, as git
> needs them internally for normal work.
> 

Can you (Alex) find out whether you are allowed to run those binaries
from that path directly? In that case we could rethink our strategy and
adjust for the case where we can't set the environment.

Michael