Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/4] MSVC: Fix an "unresolved symbol" linker error on cygwin

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 08:55:27 +0100

Ramsay Jones schrieb:
> Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Shouldn't this be solved by teaching the Makefile about this new "Cygwin
>> but using MSVC as compiler toolchain" combination?
> 
> Yes. Err... see patch #3 :-P

A clarifiction: Junio talks about using the MSVC tools to build Cygwin
programs, that is, to merely substitute Cygwin's gcc by MSVC, but to still
link against cygwin's C runtime.

But this is not what this series is about.

When the "MSVC build" of git is made, then the MSVC compiler is used, and
this will always use Microsoft libraries in the resulting executables,
regardless of whether "make MSVC=1" was called from a "cygwin environment"
or from and "msys environment".

This series is about fixing "make MSVC=1" when it is run from a "cygwin
environment" by disentangling the MSVC and Cygwin configuration sections
in the Makefile.

-- Hannes