Subject: git-svn not fetching all revisions

From: Marcus Better <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:08:26 +0100

Hi,

I have trouble cloning a SVN repository with a somewhat weird history.
Its layout has been reorganised, and is currently using a standard
layout like this:

  project/
    trunk/
    branches/
    tags/
  otherproject/
    ...

The problem is that the trunk was replaced by a branch at some point.
When I do "git svn clone -s svn://host/repo/project" it only fetches the
"old" trunk up to the time of the switch, and then stops. Newer
revisions of the "new" trunk are not fetched and cannot be seen with
"find-rev".

The history of the repo is something like this: Initial layout is

  trunk/
    project/
    otherstuff/
  branches/

Then we had the following sequence:

1. commit stuff to trunk/project/...
2. create "branches/mybranch" from trunk/project
3. some commits on trunk and branches
4. moved trunk/project to branches/old_trunk
5. moved trunk/otherstuff to /otherstuff. /trunk is now empty (***)
6. removed /trunk directory
7. create /project
8. move branches/mybranch to project/trunk
9. commit stuff on project/trunk

(***) last commit seen in clone.

Now step 5 is the last revision that appears in the git svn clone. It
shows up as the last commit on remotes/trunk.

Apparently git svn has failed to follow the move from branches/mybranch
to trunk. The last commit seen on remotes/mybranch in the clone is from
before the move to trunk (step 3).

I have tried replaying the above steps with some variations in a new svn
repository, but apparently I'm missing something because I couldn't
reproduce the issue. I cannot publish the real svn repo.

I use git and git-svn 1.6.5.2 (Debian amd64 packages).

Cheers,

Marcus