Subject: Re: Consensus on "Git"

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:37:51 +0100

Teemu Likonen venit, vidit, dixit 11.11.2009 15:58:
> On 2009-11-11 10:33 (+0100), Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> 
>> Yes, in Open Source, we are used to crude, geeky humor, some of us
>> even accept blunt mails, but we are embedded in a world that is called
>> "reality".
>>
>> In my experience, in this world it is much easier to tell people that
>> your program is called "Git" ("could have been John, either") and be
>> done with the questions.
> 
> Yes, that’s how the language works.

And why Dick Cheney was allowed to keep his name ;)

> Proper nouns are capitalized, so in
> plain text the name of this program should always be written “Git”. Only
> in command examples it is “git”.
> 
> Sometimes people mix proper nouns and logos/brands. Proper nouns are
> under the rules of the language. For example, I can’t go telling people
> that my name must be written “teEMu” because I don’t own Finnish.

Given that reasoning, we should really use "Git" whenever the program or
project name is meant. Is that something we can reach concensus on?

> In logos the brands’ owner can try to be funny and cool and different
> and write anything they want (like “gɨT” or “GīT”).

Nice!

Michael