Subject: Re: [PATCHv3] Add branch management for releases to gitworkflows

From: Raman Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:35:43 -0500

Nanako Shiraishi wrote:
> Quoting Raman Gupta <[email-masked]>
>> I noticed you removed the discussion I added about the situation in
>> which maint will *not* be a subset of master i.e. when the user has
>> cherry-picked commits from other branches. This type of cherry-pick is
>> described as a valid operation, though one to generally be avoided
>> earlier in the man page. If we tell users that the occasional
>> cherry-pick to maint is ok, then shouldn't we explain how that affects
>> the release process?
> 
> It is irrelevant that you can cherry-pick to 'maint'.
> 
> You can, and Junio does, cherry-pick some commits from master to 
> maint from time to time. But even if you have such cherry-picked 
> commits on the maintenance branch, the result, with zero or more 
> other maintenance commits on top, is always merged back to the 
> master branch (you can look at "gitk origin/maint origin/master" 
> to see yourself).
> 
> So when Junio tags the release from the tip of the master branch, 
> it is a superset of the maintenace branch; it is irrelevant if 
> maint has some commits that are cherry-picked from master.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

Ok, another dumb question: since you have now submitted a patch on top
of my patch, what is the proper etiquette for proceeding? Who
maintains this patch series until it is committed? Since your patch
applies on top of mine I can't really make any more changes without
affecting your patch right? I can't find any guidance in the
SubmittingPatches document.

Cheers,
Raman