Subject: Re: OS X and umlauts in file names

From: Thomas Singer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 19:35:50 +0100

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> have you tried calling git-update-index --add
> --stdin -z? Your original email stated

No, we don't do such a massive change immediately before a release.

>> we've got a problem report regarding our SmartGit GUI client
> 
> so it sounds like you are building a porcelain. In that case, the
> sanest approach is to invoke git-update-index and write to its stdin.

We will try this out after release.

For those who are interested: I've got it working on OS X and Git was not
the problem, but Java. A longer time ago directory.list() or
directory.listFiles() returned the file names with decomposed characters (as
they are stored on OS X hard disk). Now (don't know which Java update
introduced this change) these methods return file names with composed
characters, so I had to decompose them before handing them to the git
executable call.

Nevertheless, the cross-platform-problem remains: if you add files with
umlauts in their names on non-OS X, you will not be able to use them on OS X.

-- 
Tom