Subject: Re: [PATCH] grep: --full-tree

From: Uri Okrent <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:47:45 -0800

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> You preach to the choir.
> 
> That is exactly how we work and what people have been working hard for
> 1.7.0.  Check the planned changes listed in the recent (and not so recent)
> "What's cooking" summary reports.

Yes, I guess my only point here was that maybe even 1.7 is not enough of
a "Big Deal" (in the eyes of the public) to warrant breaking scripts. A
2.0 version would be a more visible way to say "Hey test your scripts
before upgrading". Adopting a strategy like that would mean making
backwards incompatible changes a lot let frequently, but when we do we
go for broke.

> Changing "grep" is too late for 1.7.0, but we are trying to find an easy
> migration path like you mentioned in your message and that is exactly what
> this thread is about.

I wasn't actually suggesting we change grep for 1.7. As a matter of
fact, my personal opinion (which I probably neglected to mention) is
that grep default behavior should stay the same since it is semantically
closer to unix (or gnu) grep.

-- 
    Uri

Please consider the environment before printing this message.
http://www.panda.org/how_you_can_help/