Subject: non-US-ASCII file names (e.g. Hiragana) on Windows

From: Thomas Singer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:15:48 +0100

I've created a file with unicode characters in its name (using Java):

 new File(dir, "\u3041\u3042\u3043\u3044").createNewFile();

The file name is stored correctly on disk, because if invoking a

 dir.list()

the name is listed correctly.

When opening this directory in the Windows Explorer (German Windows XP SP3),
it shows 4 boxes - which most likely is a problem of the font not supporting
these characters.

When launching 'git status' from the git shell (msys 1.6.5.1.1367.gcd48 from
7zip-bundle) it only shows me 4 question marks. I would have expected to see
the non-displayable characters escaped like it did with the umlauts on OS X.

Even adding fails:

$ git add .
fatal: unable to stat '????': No such file or directory

What should I do to make Git recognize these characters?

-- 
Thanks in advance,
Tom