Subject: Re: non-US-ASCII file names (e.g. Hiragana) on Windows

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:27:45 +0100

Thomas Singer schrieb:
> Thomas Singer wrote:
>> Reece Dunn wrote:
>>> This is a bug in git's character encoding/conversion logic. It looks
>>> like git is taking the source string and converting it to ascii to be
>>> displayed on the console output (e.g. by using the WideCharToMultiByte
>>> conversion API) -- these APIs will use a '?' character for characters
>>> that it cannot map to the target character encoding (like the Hiragana
>>> characters that you are using).
>> I have a screenshot from a SmartGit user where 1) the console can show the
>> far-east-characters and 2) Git *can* show the characters escaped. Are there
>> two versions of Git available or does Gits behaviour depends somehow on the
>> system locale?
> 
> Does no Git expert know what to do to get it working?

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/133980 [*]

The possible reason why some one else is seeing correct glyphs with
SmartGit is because it is a Unicode application and the Windows box has
suitable fonts installed and the console is configured with a suitable
font as well.

-- Hannes

[*] I had a botch email infrastructure when I sent this message, and the
copy intended for you went to the waste bin, but I thought I had re-sent
to you in a private mail.