Subject: Re: non-US-ASCII file names (e.g. Hiragana) on Windows

From: Thomas Singer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:55:54 +0100

Johannes Sixt wrote:
> Thomas Singer schrieb:
>> Thomas Singer wrote:
>>> Reece Dunn wrote:
>>>> This is a bug in git's character encoding/conversion logic. It looks
>>>> like git is taking the source string and converting it to ascii to be
>>>> displayed on the console output (e.g. by using the WideCharToMultiByte
>>>> conversion API) -- these APIs will use a '?' character for characters
>>>> that it cannot map to the target character encoding (like the Hiragana
>>>> characters that you are using).
>>> I have a screenshot from a SmartGit user where 1) the console can show the
>>> far-east-characters and 2) Git *can* show the characters escaped. Are there
>>> two versions of Git available or does Gits behaviour depends somehow on the
>>> system locale?
>> Does no Git expert know what to do to get it working?
> 
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/133980 [*]
> 
> The possible reason why some one else is seeing correct glyphs with
> SmartGit is because it is a Unicode application and the Windows box has
> suitable fonts installed and the console is configured with a suitable
> font as well.

I wasn't talking about SmartGit, but msysgit on the Windows console. Sorry,
if that wasn't clear.

Is it a German Windows limitation, that far-east characters are not
supported on it (but work fine on a Japanese Windows), are there different
(mysys)Git versions available or is this a configuration issue?

-- 
Tom