Subject: Re: non-US-ASCII file names (e.g. Hiragana) on Windows

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:17:54 +0100

Thomas Singer schrieb:
> I'm quite surprised, that -- as I
> understand you -- msys-Git (or Git at all?) is not able to handle all
> characters (aka unicode) at the same time. I expected it would be better
> than older tools, e.g. SVN.

This has been discussed at length here and in the msysgit mailing list.
Git expects that the file system returns file names with the same byte
sequence that git used to create a file. On Windows, this works only as
long as you do not switch the codepage.

> BTW, we are invoking the Git executable from Java. Is there automatically a
> console "around" Git?

I don't think so. In this case, the codepage that Java has set up will
apply. I guess that Java doesn't mess with the codepage at all, and then
on German Windows git would operate in cp1252.

> Should we invoke a shell-script (which sets the
> console's code page) instead of the Git executable directly?

I don't think that is necessary.

-- Hannes