Subject: Re: non-US-ASCII file names (e.g. Hiragana) on Windows

From: Thomas Singer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 16:41:16 +0100

Johannes Sixt wrote:
> Thomas Singer schrieb:
>> I'm quite surprised, that -- as I
>> understand you -- msys-Git (or Git at all?) is not able to handle all
>> characters (aka unicode) at the same time. I expected it would be better
>> than older tools, e.g. SVN.
> 
> This has been discussed at length here and in the msysgit mailing list.
> Git expects that the file system returns file names with the same byte
> sequence that git used to create a file. On Windows, this works only as
> long as you do not switch the codepage.

Now you confuse me: is this a problem of Windows, Git using a less capable
Windows-API call or is there no unicode-capable API call to list file names
on Windows? I ask myself how Java does it in its internals, finally it
(also) consists of a C-base, I guess.

-- 
Tom