Subject: Re: [BUG] Bad msysgit/egit interaction over dotfiles

From: Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 21:56:21 +0100

Yann Dirson said the following on 08.12.2009 15:37:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 03:23:55PM +0100, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:
>> You can follow the discussion here:
>> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=288
>>
>> I believe the reason is something like "because someone suggested
>> it, and no one disagreed". Do you have a good argument why it
>> shouldn't be the default (other than "it's a change", because
>> changing it back now would also be a change)?
>
> Depending on the opinion of the Eclipse guys on this issue about
> "writing to hidden files only says 'could not write'", which
> arguably could be seen as a bug on their side, we can see changing
> this behaviour back to the default on the msysgit side as either a
> (possibly temporary) workaround for a known eclipse bug, or as
> getting again interoperable with egit.

Dot-files on unix are considered hidden. It's the only way files are 
hidden there. Not so on Windows. Dot-files are just like any normal 
file, and you need to mark a file hidden.

So, the logic of egit, that *actually* hidden files should not be 
written to, but dot-files should, seems to me to be a bug in egit. 
There should be no reason why egit shouldn't be able to write to any 
file, pending permissions. I'd say file a bug report with egit.

--
.marius