Subject: Re: RFC: display dirty submodule working directory in git gui and gitk

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 20:21:14 +0100

Am 04.01.2010 20:05, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Am 04.01.2010 18:51, schrieb Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy:
>>> Incidentally I was just drafting git-super.sh it see how far it goes.
>>> The goal was to implement some cross-module operations over time. "git
>>> super status", "git super commit" and others could be handy.
>>
>> Hm, i'm not sure if this will really help us. I would rather see "git
>> status" and friends do the right thing for submodules too. Maybe this
>> has to be configurable but i think the separate commands that one has
>> to use for submodules now are part of the usability problems we are
>> seeing.

> Both will be valid approaches to work toward the same goal.  A separate
> prototype implementation can be a way to easily figure out what the
> desired features are.

> For the past 12 months, you and Johan Herland were the people who had more
> than one patches with substance to git-submodule.sh and I would really
> appreciate and at the same time want to encourage experimentation by
> people like you who are heavy users with need for a better submodule
> support.

Right. It was not my intention to discourage such experimentations with
my reply. I'm sorry if my email made this impression.