Subject: Re: Possible bug in git-completion.sh

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 16:40:26 +0100

Jon Schewe venit, vidit, dixit 08.01.2010 16:17:
> If I create a directory "build" at the top of my git repository and then
> add it to .gitignore, git behaves as expected and ignores the build
> directory when checking status. Now git-completion.sh has some issues. I
> have GIT_PS1_SHOWUNTRACKEDFILES to "1", so that I will be notified when
> there are untracked files in my working directory. When I'm in the
> top-level directory my prompt looks like expected, no '%'. However if I
> change to the build directory I get a '%', even though git status shows
> no untracked files. I see that git-completion.sh is using git ls-files
> to check this and that function does indeed show output when in my build
> directory. So the question here: Is git-completion.sh using ls-files
> improperly or is ls-files behaving improperly?
> 

Neither, but: output between status and ls-files is inconsistent. More
specifically, different commands behave differently with respect to the
treatment of subdirs. ls-files assumes "." implicitly, status does not.
"git status ." should give you the same behavior is "git ls-files" in
this regard.

Michael