Subject: Re: [RFC] Git Wiki Move

From: "J.H." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:47:25 -0800

On 01/18/2010 04:03 AM, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> 
>> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, J.H. wrote:
>>
>>> On 01/17/2010 03:06 PM, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>>>
>>>> BTW there is a file KHTMLFixes.css in the directory skins/monobook/ 
>>>> which makes the layout break with Chromium.  Apparently, it is no 
>>>> longer needed by KHTML anyway.  So could you please replace that 
>>>> file with an empty one, or comment out the offending part, like so:
>>>>
>>>> 	/* #column-content { margin-left: 0; } */
>>>
>>> I'm not keen on making changes since that file is still coming from 
>>> the shipping version of mediawiki and I'm trying, quite a lot, to not 
>>> run a modified version of it.  I've got enough troubles with the fact 
>>> that that one change would affect 22 wikis in a single go.
>>>
>>> As bad as it is to say this, I'd rather wait for 1.16 to come out vs. 
>>> modify it in place.  Mediawiki is claiming they are in continuous 
>>> integration development with quarterly releases but their last release 
>>> was June of 2009, so take that as you will.
>>
>> Fair enough.  As long as Chromium has a fairly small share of the 
>> market, I think it is safe to tell everybody to wait a little until the 
>> side bar is no longer displayed at the left _below_ the main body text.  
>> AFAICT the problem was solved with Wikipedia, so the next release should 
>> magically fix the issue.
> 
> Actually, in a rare case of cleverness, I found out how to fix it (at 
> least for me, it works):
> 
> 	http://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/MediaWiki:Monobook.css
> 
> Of course, this is only a work-around, and it will get broken once 
> Monobook changes dimensions (or more).  But hopefully Chromium will be 
> fixed by then, extending the canvas into the negative arm of the x axis 
> whenever needed.  And then I will happily delete the custom Monobook.css.

That works.

> These are the things left that I would like to see soon:
> 
> - add a link from the old Wiki (with rewrite rules)

I think the rewrites should be simple enough (the pages seem to line up
1:1 easily enough) so all I would need to do is discuss this with Petr.

> - use whatever logo (anything is better than the sunflower)

It's easy enough to change just need to know which one to use.

> - enable anonymous edits

Anonymous edits will *NEVER* be enabled.  You are going to need to have
an account and your going to have to verify it's e-mail to be able to do
eits.  Completely anonymous edits are too much of a risk considering
bots and spam and the abuse they can do.

Even then there is at least one case of a spammer actually going through
and using a verified account.

> - a major cleanup of the broken autolinks and faulty formatting.
> 
> The latter point is probably the most tedious one, so I suggest that only 
> those get a vote on the logo who fix at least 3 pages.

sound fair to me.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley