Subject: How to resolve conflict: Moved away vs. created new file with same name

From: Johannes Schneider <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:10:32 +0100

Hi,

I had the following merge problem that I could not solve.

TopicA:

created a directory "client" containing a pom.xml and several source files.

TopicB:

created a directory "client" containing a pom.xml (different file than 
the one in TopicA).
Created several subdirectories (client1, client2).

You get the idea? I introduce several different clients and want them to 
be stored within one directory. But I did not have this idea when I have 
started TopicA.

So I am trying to mimic the change in TopicA:

cd client
mkdir client3
mv pom.xml client3
mv src client3
...commit...

Okay, so far so good. Now I try to merge TopicA and TopicB which fails. 
Of course Git doesn't understand that "client/pom.xml" in TopicA and 
TopicB are not related.
I want to end with to the file from TopicA ending in 
"client/client3/pom.xml" and the file from TopicB in "client/pom.xml".

I don't blame Git for not knowing what I want. I just wanna ask how I 
should tell Git what I want? Any hints?

Thanks,

Johannes