Subject: Re: master^ is not a local branch -- huh?!?

From: A Large Angry SCM <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 18:16:11 -0500

Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> Heya,
> 
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 22:29, Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Then who was arguing about making Git more user friendly rather
>> then less?
> 
> Using a detached head is a more advanced feature than wanting to
> checkout a remote branch locally, creating a local tracking branch. As
> such, 'git checkout origin/topic' now means the same as 'git checkout
> -t origin/topic', and you can get the old behavior back by doing 'git
> checkout origin/topic^0'. I don't see what the problem is, if you're
> using a detached head you're an advanced enough git user that you can
> remember that you can use '^0' to detach your head. It's not all that
> uncommon to do 'git checkout HEAD^0' to detach your head to the
> current branch, no?
> 

[I'm still catching up on this thread]

What we call 'Detached head' is _the_ normal way ti use git for quite a 
number of users. And given the current UI, it's not really advanced.