Subject: Re: Better cooperation between checkouts and stashing

From: Markus Elfring <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 22:57:10 +0100

> But the thing is, that starting point is not quite correct.

Thanks for your detailed explanations.

> I actually have explained this at least a few times here in the past:
>
>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/77700/focus=77708
>   

I am also very interested in the three use cases that were mentioned in
the discussion for the topic "Switching branches without committing
changes".

> but I don't see anything that states clearly that "checkout" is designed
> to carry your local changes across in any documentation (I gave a cursory
> look to the user manual, tutorial and checkout manual page).

I find it interesting that these descriptions might need still a few
more clarifications about the involved relationships.

>  - Internally run 'git stash', then run 'git checkout other-branch'.
>   

I imagine that this case is useful because of usual work interruptions
in software development. A developer tries to bring various tasks
forward in parallel. Branches will be switched often with unfinished
work that needs to be kept before the reactivation of another task.

Regards,
Markus