Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 5/6] revert: add --ff option to allow fast forward when cherry-picking

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 08:56:25 +0100

>> and that even without
>> setting the variables, "git cherry-pick" will pick a new commit date but
>> "git cherry-pick --ff" wouldn't.  The latter, I think is the only
>> difference that is worth pondering further.
>
> Because --no-ff could be used when the GIT_COMMITTER_* and GIT_AUTHOR_* env
> variable should be respected? Or because we should check if one of these
> env variable is set and, if that is the case, we should not fast forward?

I wish it could be the former, at least in the long run; after all git 
merge fast-forwards by default, and it doesn't adjust its behavior if 
GIT_COMMITTER_* is passed.

Anyway, your plan of starting with --ff and changing the default to 
--no-ff later seems fine.  Maybe you can add --no-ff now already, though 
it would be a no-op.

>> Note that "-e --ff" would error out; however if --ff would be the
>> default, "-e" would probably choose between fast-forward and
>> non-fast-forward depending on whether the commit message was edited.
>
> Yeah, but let's change the default later please.

Sure.

Paolo