Subject: Re: Fix signal handler

From: Markus Elfring <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 22:44:37 +0100

>
> No, it's not a sig_atomic_t, but it is assignment of a single function
> pointer that is properly declared as volatile. Is this actually a
> problem on any known system?
>   

Is it guaranteed to work on all supported software environments that an
address can be atomically set?

> If you want to nit-pick, there are much worse cases. For example, in
> diff.c, we do quite a bit of work in remove_tempfile_on_signal.
>   

Thanks that you point out another open issue.

> It assumes that char* assignment is atomic, but nothing is even marked as
> volatile. But again, is this actually a problem on any system?
>   

Would you like to provide software implementations that work by design?

Regards,
Markus